Ordway Law Group, LLC
Ordway Law Group, LLC
Divorce & Family Law

How do I file for divorce?

On Behalf of | Jan 3, 2022 | Divorce |

If you decide your marriage is over and you wish to end it, you will have to file for a divorce with the court. Marriage is a legally binding contract. The only way to get out of it is by suing your spouse to end the contract.

Georgia.gov explains that to file for divorce, you need to contact the clerk in your county’s Superior Court.


You need to file in the county in which you live. This may also include the county in which your spouse lives. You or your spouse must have lived in the county for at least six months.


You will need to complete and file a complaint. You may also hear this called a petition for divorce. The document allows you to explain to the court that you wish to end your marriage. It also requires you to give the grounds, which is the reason why you wish to divorce. Your petition will also list what you wish the court to do, such as set child support and custody and divide your property.

If you and your spouse agree to divorce and can agree on all the details, then you can file an uncontested divorce. Do keep in mind only one of you should file the petition. You would also file the agreement with the court so the judge knows you already have divided your property and handled the other matters.

If you cannot agree, then you will have to go to trial. The judge will then make all the decisions in the case about the important points.

Ordway Law Group, LLC – A Reputation For Excellence In Resolving Complex Divorces


RSS Feed

FindLaw Network