Ordway Law Group, LLC
Ordway Law Group, LLC
Divorce & Family Law

Do you need your co-parent’s consent to relocate with the kids?

On Behalf of | Apr 18, 2023 | Child Custody |

Work, family and personal emergencies are just a few of the valid reasons that might spur you to make a sudden move with your kids in tow. If you are in a co-parenting arrangement with an ex-spouse, however, you might not have the freedom to simply relocate on a whim.

Even if the court names you as the primary custodian over your children following your divorce, your co-parent still has the right to reasonable access to your children and a fair amount of time with them. You can plan your next steps by understanding how consent works during relocation and what you can do if you do not receive permission to move from your ex-spouse or the court.

When do you need your co-parent’s consent to move with the kids?

Your co-parent has the right to spend time with the children. If you are relocating over a short distance to a place that is still accessible by the other parent, there will likely be no complications. If you decide to move over a great distance or to another state, you need the permission of your co-parent or the court.

What can you do if your co-parent does not consent?

Even if your co-parent does not consent to a large-scale move, the court might rule in favor of the relocation if the judge deems that it is in the child’s best interests. Another option is to turn to Georgia’s Division of Child Support Services as a resource that parents can use to arrive at a parenting time solution that works for both parties.

Any relocation that makes it difficult for your co-parent to visit your children is one that requires special permission. It is often possible for parents to arrive at a mutually-beneficial solution through mediation and compromise.

Ordway Law Group, LLC – A Reputation For Excellence In Resolving Complex Divorces


RSS Feed

FindLaw Network