Ordway Law Group, LLC
Ordway Law Group, LLC
Divorce & Family Law

High-asset divorce, child support and your passport

On Behalf of | Nov 16, 2022 | Divorce |

If you are preparing for a high-asset divorce as a parent or you currently owe child support as someone with a high net worth, it is crucial to understand the different ways that falling behind on support could affect you. Aside from license suspension, contempt of court charges and other penalties, missing child support payments could jeopardize your passport.

Whether you need to travel to different countries for business, to visit family or to enjoy a much-needed vacation, failing to stay current on your child support could cause you to become unable to leave the country.

Passport denial due to child support arrears

If a non-custodial party owes over $2,500 in back child support, the Administration for Children and Families reports that the delinquent party will lose the ability to successfully apply for a U.S. passport under the Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act of 1996. In order to move forward with your passport application normally, you need to pay arrears to the state so they remove your name from the list.

Child support and passport revocation

Aside from impacting passport applications, back child support can also affect current passports. If you owe more than $2,500 in child support arrears, the government will revoke your valid passport if you surrender it in order to add more pages, change your name or repair your passport.

Passport denial and other penalties arising from unpaid child support could have a significant impact on various aspects of your life, and it is very important to understand the options you have and address child support issues right away.

Ordway Law Group, LLC – A Reputation For Excellence In Resolving Complex Divorces


RSS Feed

FindLaw Network